PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 6th Nov 2004, 19:59
rhythm method

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Completely correct...

The captain has ultimate responsibility for the safety of his aircraft and all persons onboard. (I am not here implying liability in this incident because none of us have the FULL facts).

If I am being marshalled onto stand and am worried about colliding with a ground obstruction, be it a vehicle or an incorrectly parked airbridge, should I blindly obey the instructions of the marshaller and wait for the bang. Then say "He told me to continue"?. NO. If you are in doubt, STOP and request assistance. How can you be sure the marshaller or controller can see what you feel may be a hazard?

Obviously in this incident, there was no marshaller. Likewise NO controller can have blame apportioned to them, because they are not responsible for separation on taxiways. They can request ground assistance if they foresee potential conflicts if, for example, an aircraft is pushed back farther than normal and may overhang another taxiway.

One of the most important aspects here is that too many people are trying to lay the blame too quickly. What has CRM taught any of us yet? Accidents and incidents should be used to learn. Find out what happened, then why, then develop means to avoid any recurrence.

As said earlier, no deaths or serious injuries, so wait for the facts to emerge before tying the noose.