PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, so what does PPR REALLY mean???
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 19:21
Dog's Bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> recall there used to be another category called PPO which was a sort of aggressive PPR, but I haven't seen that lately.

PPO = Prior Permission Only (by phone)

PPR = Prior Permission Radio

Unfortunately (as Keef reminds us) later day pilots straight out of nursery school, having been taught by equally 'young' and clueless instructors do not remember or even know the difference between the two.

As aviator's of old will tell you, it was quite common to see both 'PPO' or 'PPR' WRITTEN ON THE SAME LINE, TOGETHER, under the appropriate aerodrome, meaning that (PPO) it was essential that you PHONED before leaving on your flight. Whereas (PPR) meant that permission could be sought over the RADIO, however be advised that landing permission could be refused, so have a fall back option and plan your flight to assume that the field would not available.

Yonks ago I recall an aerodrome employee stating that we should have requested Prior Permission. It was pointed out to him that we had, by using the Radio, and had thereby complied with the written instructions which stated that you could use either PPO or PPR.

No doubt with the passage of time the waters have become muddied. I am given to understand by a really old CFI that PPO was in use before radios were in widespread use. As lower category airfields became radio equipped it was acceptable to request permission over the radio, but only if it said 'PPR' (and given the proviso that you must have a fall back option if refused). If it stated 'PPO' then it was not acceptable to use the radio (PPR) for permission.

But I guess this is not what Whirly is on about.