PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 17:52
Bableton

Cool

Buying a Type Rating is about one thing. Selling a product, and that product is you.

There are probably 100 Guys qualified for every Airline Job available and in order to market yourself in a way that puts you ahead of the other 99 then a type rating is a bloody good idea.

When I placed a £5k advert in yellow pages for my business I didn't stop to think about the other business's not getting work because they couldn't afford an advert like mine. I certainly didn't think I was affecting the industry.

When I paid £23k for my Airbus rating, it was a calculated risk that I was prepared to take. It paid off for me and I would not encourage people to take a loan for this purpose but if you are in a position to make yourself a more attractive proposition for an Airline by having their type on your licence then I say go ahead and don't feel guilty about the others because in this industry you have to look after yourself and your family.

If this is your dream job then go get it, whatever way you can!!!

There are too many people commenting on this subject who were lucky enough to get jobs with low hours, think about how you would feel if you only ever wanted to fly for a living, you have a Frozen ATPL but after several years you still haven’t got a job. Its time to make a decision, Give up the dream or Gamble on a better life. It’s a nasty situation but we are all adults and life is about risks.