PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL ground school UK
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 14:13
WX Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*** Feedback from a past student ****

I did my full time groundschool at BCFT, and I was pretty happy with 95% of it. My only reservations were in the Met manuals, and some of the engines manuals, which could have been much more explicit in their explanations.

They have good feedback (or at least, when I sat the exams I found the feedback perfectly adequate).

The learning atmosphere there is second to none that I have experienced- good, relaxed atmosphere, approachable instructors and an 'open door' policy everywhere.

I got 1st time passes in all 14, and that's partly due to the quality of the school, but due also to the fact that I put in a f*** of a lot of study outside of class. I reckoned on doing about 2-2.5h (sometimes 3.5) on weekday nights, and 5-6h on a weekend day (with the other weekend day off- usually Saturday, recovering from the hangover that was a result of Friday night's excesses. And believe me, it's possible to go to excess in a big way in Bournemouth!).

Different schools are different things to different people. My gripes with the Met & Engines manuals weren't shared by any of my colleagues. By the same token, some people found the CBT that was used in instruments very useful: I always find CBT useless, boring and frustrating- but that's just me.

I've recommended BCFT to people in the past, and these people I don't think have made any regrets when they've taken the decision to do their ATPL groundschool there.