PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 6th Nov 2004, 13:35
scanscanscan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a ground collision between two aircraft such as this the QRH and company SOPs says to do What?
Wait to be told one or both of you are on fire then evacuate?
Or Immediately evacuate to give your passengers extra time before the fire develops?
Evacuate 255 and crew pus the 737 and crew into a busy area close to the active runways and mix them into the arriving fire trucks?
Popular opinion is pilots are just drivers they plug in the autopilot and actually do nothying, the ground staff are incharge on the ground and you are airborne.
ATCservice of years past by necessity is today air trafic control and this influences pilots to think that like so many aspects of the job today you only need to follow instructions to the letter to be safe. Individuals who think airmanship independently outside the box seem to be progressively being screened out.
Captains should realise basically everyone out there and the system is trying to kill them and it is the one they do not see that gets them.
What a lot of luck you need in this job...A captain is legally responsible to the extent of his worldwide wealth for the safety of his flight. Glad I invested mine in wild women,booze,and slow horses,the rest I wasted!