PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS intercept question
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 11:54
Fokker-Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot for all your replies!

The approach in question is at ENCN. Kristiansand Kjevik, Norway, ILS 22. The clearance was direct BN beacon.

But the same situation applies for many other airports as well.
The thing that makes this so special is that the initial approach altitude is 200' below the Minimum Sector Altitude. Therefore it is possible to get established on the localizer and when established, descend the 200' down to intercept the glideslope.

Even though it is safe, no questions about that. Is it allowed seen from a Pans-ops point of view ?

Bookworm: I definately see your point, and you are right. The amout of time spent on a vector in comparison to self-maneuvering is marginal. However I'm not always impressed by the effectiveness of ATC vectors, and when flying in controlled airspace with only one A/C present, I would like to do the manevering myself in order to be as effective as possible. But the question still remains; Am I allowed to do so if above the MSA ?

OzExpat: The term "maneuver space" is a communication term not a Pans-ops term as you clearly stated. I sometimes use it in airspace with low traffic volume in order to gain lateral playroom to position the aircraft. ("Playroom" ? Pardon my english)

As the example I mentioned in my first post. The beacon is situated closer to the airport than the position of GS intercept from initial approach altitude. Therefore if you fly direct that beacon, there is no way you could do the approach directly since you would be some 300 feet above the glideslope.

Instead of flying directly to the beacon I would request maneuver space in order to intercept the LLZ at a point before the GS intercept. The only reason I would argue that this is possible is that you are above MSA and therfore don\'t have a terrain conflict. But the question remains, can I do this on my own or do I need vectors from the controller ?