PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excel B767 and bmibaby B737 collision at Manchester
Old 6th Nov 2004, 11:43
G-BEJE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting fact or two from my "source" :

The BMI 737 was instructed to hold "in turn at T1", behind another aircraft. When that first aircraft lined up 24L, the BMI did not seem to pull forward and was most certainly not at the T1 stop bar when the impact occurred, as it should have been. So, technically speaking, the aircraft was holding T1, not S2 or anywhere else for that matter.

The crossing XLA was on it's way to V5 as Danny has shown in that excellent diagram.

ATC cannot be expected to ensure wing clearance is given on every part of the airfield, that responsibility falls surely to the aircraft commander? The clearances given in this case were, I feel, safe.

The holding point at T1 is easily separated from the adjacent taxiways for the aircraft types in question.

The AAIB went to town on the scene, releasing the runway back to us only at 2am-ish, so expect a nice, clear, report from them, as usual. I'll withold any final conclusion or comment until then as, frankly, we all make mistakes