PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asymmetric operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 08:04
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
I hope you enjoy aircraft ownership.

As to currency, it is very hard to put a hard figure on it because everyone takes different amounts of time to achieve the same standard and therefore they will lose " currency" at differing rates too!

CASA has tried to put a figure on it and also many companies that hire aircraft to people. 90 days seems a reasonable figure. It is used for passenger carrying currency, instrument approach currency, night landing currency and most companies will not hire you an aircraft without 90 day currency and/ or a check flight even though you can stay on the ground for 23 months and 3 weeks if you own your own aircraft and then blast off on an across Australia flight!

The problem with the 90 day rule is the 89 DAY CLUB. The plonkers who go to their local club/school etc and do 3 circuits every 90 days to be legal but who are woefully uncurrent! They would be better to let the 90 days lapse and do a check flight with an instructor when they actually need to go flying.

So for asymmetric operations I would suggest perhaps 90 days. Since it is your own aircraft it would not cost you very much to do two or three circuits dual to keep the competency up. This may seem onerous but I am assuming that you fly privately and irregularly. For people flying twins every day then this would be overkill and they are far more comfortable and potentially competent with the aircraft although this can breed complacency.
Did you read about the El Questro crash?

COSTS: Say $150 for an instructor and landing fees every 90 days which is $600 per annum plus your aircraft costs.

Sounds like good value to me.

Last edited by Icarus2001; 6th Nov 2004 at 08:33.