PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats happening with NSW EMS / Paramedics refuse to fly
Old 6th Nov 2004, 00:00
Katfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading all the comments on this issue for several months. All are very interesting, and most prove why this is called the Rumour Network.
However, as an ex member of the organisation, I would like to present a few facts......just in the interests of truth you understand.
1. After a series of disastrous and fraudulent CEO's, Peter (Alby) Mangles was appointed CEO. There were a few of us who saw this as our last hope. The organisation had for many years been run behind the scenes by "the boys club", a mix of part timers and Surf. A part timer even ran the Crweman roster. These part timers I might add, had full time jobs in Fire, Ambulance & Police. But they had the power at the time. Any desire to put the organisation on a more permanent and professional level was World War 3.
2. Peter Mangles mangement style was brilliant. He had just come from CEO of the Prince of Wales hospital, and had turned that around during his tenure. Such was his belief and passion about the organisation, he was also a volunteer crewman in Wollongong during his time as CEO of the P of W.
3.Peter tried to put the organisation on a more professional and equitaqble footing. When he joined, it was broke. we couldn't even afford to buy a full uniform set for new employees. At the time of his standown, he had brought in over a million dollars. And this is the guy the boys club wanted to get rid of!! They were too short sighted to realise he was the last hope.
4. Wollongong communnity has always been very supportive and proactive about their helicopter. They are understandable upset at what has happened. In contrast to their city cousins, the "gong paramedics are a great bunch of professionals, very keen to do anyhting to support the helicopter. And again unlike their city cousins, they leave the runing of it to those who are responsible for it.
5. The issue with the safety equipment was a total red herring. The club used it as a means to get rid of Peter Mangles and his supporters.
6. The pilots grouped together to get rid of a chief pilot with whom they disagreed. Instead of open, frank and honest discussion, they went behind his back and caused him to resign. The culture of the place was like a vipers nest. Huddled conversations between small groups, conversations that would stop when one entered the room. It was a terrible place to work.

It is all very sad, but as a few of us have said over the years, the best thing would be to sack the lot and start agian with a new fresh group. Many have tried to bring a modicum of sense to the organisation, but failed. I sincerely hope thatwhoever takes it on, has better luck. The community deserves better, but that was never a priority with most of the members.