PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAAA (merged)
Thread: FAAA (merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2004, 10:20
qfcsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever.....!

Let me say I am LUCKY to get the occasional LHR. Most of my trips are Jobergs! I have only heard of the church in LHR. Never been there.

The secretary of the FAAA has an economics degree. I challenge him to say that Australian based crew will not be financially worse off for this deal. If he does the calculations honestly and communicates them to crew and they are vastly different to these than I will back off.

Until then let me give you some facts....

The 3% will give you at best an additional $3000 per annum (if you earn a base pay of $100,000 and who does). That's $9,000 over 3 years and let's be generous and say $12,000 with compounding. Remember that is based on a $100,000 base!

The conservative estimates on gross reduction per average crew member is around $12,000 per annum (Loss of: long range, ODTA, SDTA, allowances, etc). Over 3 years that's $36,000.
BTW crew in the top 10% of seniority within category will not be affected by this as they can still get their long range etc with LAX.

So how does a $12,000 increase less a $36,000 loss add up to a good deal! Maths say that equals a $24,000 loss over 3 years.

I am trying to stay un-emotive but for some reason some individuals cannot see the big picture.

And consider this: LHR is not the end. It will be VERY soon that long haul crew are a thing of the past.

This deal also delivers a potential 65% of 767 and A330 international flying to short haul - WHY? Because they are cheaper...
[New 767/A330 divisional flying deal: 35% long haul, 25% short haul, 40% to QF]

Watch out long haul, you are being made extinct!!

Further...

I can only guess the LOOPHOLES referred to as being the dropping of clauses from previous EBAs in relation to "Roster Review\' and \'Pay Equalisation\'.

Let me quote directly from the EBA VI:

CLAUSE 18 REVIEW OF ROSTER SYSTEM
18.1 During the term of this EBA Qantas and the FAAA will undertake a fundamental review of how flying is allocated to crew. The objectives of the review will include but not be limited to:
· A fairer share of flying between crew,
· Improved roster sociability and stability,
· A reduction in costs,
· A reduction in demand days,
· An overall improvement in roster efficiency, and
· Implementation of a trip swap system.
18.2 The timetable for this review will be as follows:
· Qantas will table a draft proposal by 1 October 2003,
· A joint Qantas FAAA working party will then be convened to
complete its deliberations by 1 February 2004, including
negotiations on changes to the certified agreement.

CLAUSE 22 RESERVE LINE ROTATION AND PAY EQUALISATION
During the term of this EBA the parties will review options to reduce the frequency of reserve line rotation, with the objective of returning reserve line rotation to or below one bid period in ten.
The timetable for this review will be as follows:
· the parties will complete the review by 1 September 2003
· Agreed changes will be implemented by 1 November 2003.

LET ME MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR. THE FIRST PRESCRIPTION IN BOTH THESE CLAUSES SAYS:
"DURING THE TERM OF THIS EBA..."
That means that at the conclusion of the prescribed term (17 December 2004) these clauses are DEAD, GONE, FINISHED!

Phew, sorry I am getting emotive again... So the FAAA achieved NOTHING in having them removed but these things are highlighted in their newsletter to crew as being milestone gains.

Simply said, crew please look at what is being offered and don\'t just take it as being "the best deal". It is not!