PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preflight inspection
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2002, 14:54
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

OK I'm a newly qualifed FI(A)(r) with ~550hrs frozen ATPL...this is my views..

oh apologies for being a/c type specific in places - but these are (i imagine) typical across many a/c types.

. .Paperwork - yeah - checks are non-existent. Most importantly they fail to fully examine the defects list and hours remaining on the a/c.

Other big missing points are - control checks:

o Hinges are not properly checked - particularly the 4-6 bolts which hold them on

o Control rods are also not checked much

o On the PA28 few pilots check for undue movement in the stabilator - trying to wiggle is from side to side and vertially up/down (not moving the surface - but checking its attachment). I was taught this as a PPL and always did it - recently it was brought hone to me on one a/c at a club I fly at where the side-side check produce a 2" movement - no surprise it went to engineering rather quickly having been grounded. What was worrying was that the day before it had flown three times.

o Also on a/c types such as the PA28 warrior(where fitted) & PA34 people dont operate the pitot-static system drains.

o The baggage compartments dont get checked - especially on PA34.

o alternator belts are rarely checked - especially when easily accessible.

o WORST thing about pre-flight inspec - people tightening up the oil filler way too tight - which results in the base of the filler tube becoming lose - allowing oil to seep.

o Sometimes an attitude is 'oil is low but I dont know how to do it and cant be bothered to ask - oh it will be alright...' and thus throughout the day(s) the situation just deteriorates.

And worse of ALL. And I mean WORST. Is a reluctance by clubs to let pilots LOG ALL DEFECTS NO MATTER WHAT.

A defect *is* a defect. From 2 clubs I teach at they dont like me logging deferred defects as 'this grounds the a/c'. Rubbish. Unless the defect is listed on the Mimimum equipment list or is likely to affect flight safety it does NOT affect the serviceability of the a/c - thats why 'acceptable defects' exist!

Instead the clubs prefer 'post-it notes' or lose sheets of paper - which I as a pilot find TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I really do believe this practice MUST be stopped by the CAA - because sooner or later it will kill someone and that is not an attitude I am prepared to suffer - and yes the clubs find it antognistic - but tough. Its me having to fly the aircraft not them.

Anyway..sorry to end on such a sour note but I believe it is probably the most important and least solved problem.

TTFN