PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monitoring takeoff acceleration
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2004, 03:15
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
An interesting one for me. Thirty years or so ago I returned from the US with an agreement with the inventor of a device that I saw immediately could be turned into an ‘acceleration achieved’ display—operating in real time.

The old Colonel in Texas had spent most of his life lecturing on blind flying…in the later years these lectures became highly regarded reminiscences at Randolph AFB etc., of attempts to make people believe that instruments were necessary at all. He was also the holder of several aviation patents.

I quickly drew up plans and proposals for the appropriate government offices, but was disappointed when they advised me that they were already financing ( 50% ) research on such a system. A BAC 1-11 was routinely charging up and down some runway using Doppler—the beam being squirted onto the concrete—and, I think, a dual needle on the ASI.

It all came to nowt, which was prbably a good thing for my finances, but a very interesint time. The old gent had done many things, including throwing hooded pigins out of aircraft (they paraglided) and using a stethescope to hear pings from an echo bounced off the fog covered surface...high tech days.