PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-130J: Someone else's take a kicking....
Old 3rd Nov 2004, 23:25
Jackonicko

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Always,

Why am I 'nosing around on here'? Well, it's after office hours and I'm lazy. A deadly combination. I suspect that the answers have been in the bleedin RAF Yearbook, but I can't access anything until tomorrow morning, except the 'net.

I can therefore look at the RAF's official 'aircraft factsheets' that tell me:

"RAF Equipment factsheets

The majority of aircraft are fitted with Defensive Infrared Counter Measure equipment, whilst some aircraft used for special tasks have an additional enhanced defensive aids suite comprising a Skyguardian Radar Warning Receiver, a chaff and infrared flare counter measure dispensing system and a missile approach warning system

Hercules J Model - C Mk 4 / Mk 5
A total of 25 C-130 Mk1 and Mk3 aircraft are being replaced by the C-130J on a one-for-one basis. The C-130J has been modified and upgraded to include new propellers and engine control systems to give it increased take-off thrust and fuel efficiency. It also has a revised flight deck with modern glass-cockpit and Head Up Displays, thus allowing two-pilot flight deck operation, and a separate air loadmaster station in the cargo hold. The aircraft is restricted to an AT role pending clearance for wider use in the tactical TS role. The defensive suite includes a missile warning system linked to the directional infrared counter measure system, a radar warning receiver and a chaff or flare countermeasure dispensing system. The defensive system protects the aircraft against surface-to-air and air-to- air infrared seeking threats that may be encountered during operations."

Hmmm, not bad, but no mention of some features.... I know! I'll have a shufti in Hansard....

It's already told me that 12 Js are being fitted with the 'full defensive aids system' (confirming what Squadron Leader Pearce said in Code One in 2004), and back in 2001 it said:

"22 Nov 2001 : Column: 372W

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Gray: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many air-to-air refuelling probes have been purchased for the C130J; and how many aeroplanes will be operational by 1 January 2002. [15141]

Dr. Moonie: Nineteen air-to-air refuelling probes have been purchased for the C130J fleet. Full operational air-to-air refuelling capability is planned for late 2002. This will be achieved incrementally in accordance with an agreed Flight Clearance programme

Mr. Gray: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what assessment he has made of the Defensive Aids Suite capabilities on the C130K Hercules aircraft; how it compares with the US equivalent; and what plans he has to install it on the C130J.

Dr. Moonie: The capability of the C130K Defensive Aids Suite was assessed as part of the installation development and acceptance programme, based on system requirements arising from detailed threat and countermeasure evaluation. The C130K Defensive Aids Suite will not be fitted to the C130J as Lockheed Martin is currently working to finalise an installation concept for a higher performance defensive system.

The capabilities of systems operated on US aircraft are a matter for the US authorities.

Mr. Gray: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans he has to acquire a secure communications system for the C130J. [15224]

Dr. Moonie: The operational advantages of secure communications systems are well recognised and the capability is already fitted to some aircraft and others are due to be fitted. As with any defence equipment capability, decisions have to be made about priorities. A secure communications capability is not currently planned to be fitted to the Hercules C130J aircraft as we have higher operational priorities"

There, that'll help "abdul".....

Last edited by Jackonicko; 3rd Nov 2004 at 23:47.