PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Definative List of Essential Equipment
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 21:56
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definative List of Essential Equipment

Hi All,

Just been looking through some previous threads via the search function regarding essential equipment needed to start out in this industry. Some of you may be aware I started a thread with respect to outlining what schools were out there and creating a thread that could be used as a resource for those starting out to get as much info as possible. I'm pretty sure now where I'm going and now I have to look at buying the essentials to get me started. However as a novice I (and I imagine other hopefulls out there too) would appreciate any advice form those people who already have done it and now proudly wear the t-shirt.

I wish to start this new thread up to give people starting out an idea of what they need to beg, borrow or steal (more often buy) at the begining of their career.

Essentially I don't really want to buy anything at the start of my career that I won't use in future. From what I understand if successful and I get to where I want to I will require a CRP 5 rather than a CRP 1 which is the required standard for PPL. Don't really want to double up.

Information I have found out so far from other threads include:

BAGS AND BOOKS

As far as I can ssee, don't go out and spend big bucks on a leather flight case at the start, how you gonna fit into a Cessna easily? Best to go for a simple little backpack and save for when you pass your APTL.

There is confilicting information on here regarding the Thom books and if you require all of them. I've seen comment where people say that 5, 6 and 7 are all really surplus to requirment especailly when you buy a PPL confuser. Also is the Oxford CD ROM's good enough to stand on their own or do you need hardcopy books to back them up? I'd personally be interested to know from anyone who has used them.

NAVIGATION TOOLS

Square Protractor
China Pencils
2 Compasses
Ruler
Knee Board
Log Book
Scale
Charts

(What specs should us novices go for to ensure we don't have to buy a superior one when we progress through out training)

SUNGLASSES

Make sure they are not going to interfere with instuments therefore go for non-polarised. However some smaller aircraft you will use for PPL's will not have polarised windshields so look at a cheaper pair initially. Also opting for a neutral lens such as grey seems to get mentioned quite a bit.

Serengetti Drivers Gradiated
Oakley A Wire 2.0
Randolf's

HEADSETS

General consesus from what I can see is not to shell out your hard earned until you are well on your way to completing your PPL. However headsets will be along with sunglasses one of the most important purchases you will make.

Peltor 8006
Dave Clark 13.4's

(Can anyone suggest other specific models and why they stand out)

If I have missed anything I'd appreciate if people would post additional information. Also if anyone knows of places where any of these products can be purchased cheaper than the two market leaders (details below).

Relevant websites include:

www.transair.co.uk
www.flightstore.co.uk