PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF application help
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:45
jay_thorpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OASC stuff

Jukrash,

I've just been reading a few posts here & saw your plea for assistance.

I'm currently serving at 56 (R) sqn @ Leuchars as a propulsion technician on the Tor F3 & like you I'm looking for a commission as a pilot... Unlike you, I'm off to OASC on Sunday (7 Nov 04).

Anyway, just thought I'd tell you what I've done to prepare.

Select 5 topics for discussion @ home in the UK & 5 abroad, but don't get too involved with the major stuff (i.e, the war in iraq) but make sure you know the facts (why we went in, where we are etc)

Subscribed to 'The Week" magazine - weekly, about £65 per annum or £3 per wk. V easy to read (MUCH easier than 'The Economist'). Gives an overview of what's happening in the UK, Europe & the world.

Skimmed over a 'broadsheet' paper daily (some now tabloid size, of course) taking note of things that you think could be relevant later (up to 6 months!)

Get on the internet and check out the NATO website & find out what NATO is & what it does; the CIA w'site, bbc/news. All good stuff on these sites & will have great things on your chosen topics.

I've been told that playing on a console like an xbox is good for the pilot aptitude. It (apparently) gets your hands, conscious thought & eyes working independently. i.e, what you want to happen on the screen happens, without having to think what your hands & feet are doing... Apparently. Don't recomend it though a you may get carried away and neglect everything else.

Get active! I'm exercising about 3 times a wk by running, swimming etc. You'll be expected to run a 'bleep test' (shuttle runs) until you throw up, collapse, or just simply can't go any further. You'll be judged on both fitness & commitment. I think they've also introduced a swim test (swim a few lengths & tread water) but I'll get back to you.

As you're at school still, keep your hand in the speed, distance, time equations. Get your maths teacher(s) to write some for you or go to the careers office for an example (they'll have the type of thing that OASC will give you) & time yourself. It should take you no longer than 20 minutes.

That should keep you going for now, sorry to drag on but it's what I've been doing for about 4 months. I was unsuccessful last year as I was unprepared... Hopefully this year's different.

Anyway, you've got years on your side: you're still 16 (or 15) so you've got about 8 of them.

Have fun preparing!

Jay