PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I Over The Hill?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:19
Hoof Hearted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big M
Let me tell you of my experience. Qualified with CPL/IR at 30 and took seven years to obtain first job on Turbo-prop. Never made it to Jet company as have always been told that while my experience was good my age was against me and there are loads of guys that were ten or more years younger that would be considered in preference to me! Ageism is rife in this business. My advice is dont waste the money. Twelve years on as a Turbo-prop Captain I have recently decided to quit aviation.

More advice should you care to read it.

The job involves being on a roster which can be changed at the drop of a hat so screwing up plans that you may have made. Protests fall on deaf ears. You can kiss goodbye to a personal life and may have to endure long periods of separation from loved ones. If you cannot find a job at your local airport you are then looking at funding accomodation from a taxed income. Then there is the issue of funding a Type Rating about which there is already a long discussion on PPRuNE.

Why on earth do you want to do it. Just go and hire a PA28 or similar when you want and carry on enjoying your flying.