PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remembrance Day - 2008 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:08
Sloppy Link

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, the US pay their respects on "Memorial Day" (May sometime I think) and this is a national holiday regardless of what day it falls on. Should Nov 11 be elevated to this status, would not the occasion be forced more into the public eye? Or would it simply be viewed as glorifying war or an excuse to get a day off work? I can think of no occasion where a National Holiday is accompanied by a National Occasion, all our Bank Holidays are granted as a result of financial markets closing historically but are now no more than a "Day Off". I think it is high time that we started to show some pride in our achievements and allowed our youth to be aware and learn of our and our ancestor's history.

Bastille Day France
Independence Day USA
Canada Day Canada
ANZAC Day Australia

To name but a few. I find it incredible that we are still being mealy mouthed to the French about having an autumn holiday and calling it Trafalgar Day. Stop pussy footing around and do it and then when my Grandchildren ask why is it called Trafalgar Day, I will be able to explain how the mightiest Navy the world has ever or will ever see saw to the enemy and as a result Britain became the power it was and is still (just) respected throughout the modern world.

Poetry;
I recall a marvellous reading from a colleague's memorial that went along the lines of:

Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed, at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner. All is well.

I still do laugh at his little jokes. SD 1999 RiP