PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German passengers "stranded" at CVT
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 19:02
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHBM,

Yes, and you could add SOU to that list for regular services
+ BLK within walking distance (Squires Gate), MME & ABZ within short taxi ride - IIRC, both airports have "stations", but no fixed bus links to the terminals???

LCY also a short walk from Silvertown.

Extend that to 2-3 miles and you could add GLA, LPL, BHD, and I guess quite a few others.

But there is a difference between providing a local service to the city centre - where buses can still often be more flexible by dropping people off closer to hotels - and providing total integration.

A full air-rail hub provides local, regional and longer distance high speed train services in multiple directions.

Within Europe, I would say that only FRA, DUS, CGN, CDG, and possibly AMS and ZRH fit this model. BHX, SOU & LGW are perhaps close contenders, if you call Virgin's new trains high speed. LYS has a TGV link, but services are infrequent, and the link to the city centre has n't been built.

Donquijote airport will be another interesting case, as it is billing itself as being an alternative to Madrid, accessible to downtown by AVE within 45 minutes, despite being even further away than any Ryanairport so far to date.

MV,

I think we were both typing together. CWL will be more of a "halt" than a proper station - is that really going to pull people in over a direct bus? At least somewhere like Paisley Gilmour Street has very regular suburban trains, and links way down into Ayrshire.

Just looking elsewhere, I think the only place outside Europe with full integration (as opposed to a link just to the city centre) is EWR. Anyway, getting a bit ot now aren\'t we?