PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I Over The Hill?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 17:23
spitfire747

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
this is a tricky question to answer.. i will do my best.

I personally am 26 and have now got a CPL and FI rating, just about to start the IR/MCC and will hopefully be finished by January 2005. At 26 I will have 35,000 worth of debt. I belive and have believed since starting out on the long road 4 years ago, that I will complete my training and then one day get a good flying job. I have given myself a goal of getting that by 30 years old.

NOW

The market in the aviation industry is very boyant and NO ONE can really say what will happen, like the weather men, aviation analysts are just guessing most of the time. I do believe the market does slowly increase and the need for flight crews will always be there, despite the technology for pilotess planes, and i am a strong believer.

I have always and will always live by the idea that life is too short and you only get one stab at it on this earth. I would rather try and say i tried than say i wish i had tried. I did not like my day job in the office, hated it and knew i could not do it forever, then i went flying and it hit me across the face, my future career had just found me.

my travels have been hard, i have given up alot, my friends from school all have houses and cars and enough money to go away on holiday whenever whereve, wehere as i am 26, own my fiesta and laptop, live with my parents again and have nothing in the bank, BUT i am guessing i am alot happier than some.

I just spent the best 2 months of my life in Carfiff, flying everyday teaching new people how to fly, i loved every single minute of it, i knew i had made the right decision.. today however i feel a little depressed, no flying instructing work due weather etc etc and no jobs round the south, been in a factoy tday making light fittings.. grrrrrrrr wish i had a real career.. no i don't my one is blossoming slowly, but when it blooms, god it will bloom.

now onto you

obviously with any career, the older one gets the more difficult it is to secure a position of any stature ad it goes for almost all industries. However from my flying school, i know of 3 people over 40, who in the last month went on to jet jobs on the 737,747 and 737 respecitvely...

i cannot say to you yes go for it or no do not, but if you can afford it and have the love and support of your family and friends, THEN GO FOR IT NOW WITHOUT HESITATION.

your a long time dead

hope my two pennies worth have helped

Spit