PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 12 hours, is it really enough to stay safe?
Old 1st Nov 2004, 20:48
Aim Far

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 12 hours in 2 years doesn't make you a safe pilot but I'm not sure this is such a big problem.

It is pretty unlikely that someone flying less than 6 hours a year will have their own plane. So they are renting or sharing. Most clubs have far stricter currency requirements than that. So do sensible groups. Most owners wouldn't let someone who is not very current fly their plane solo. Most people who fly less than 12 hours a year will realise they need to take their inexperience into account in assessing what they can and cannot do.

So the number of people who will be able to fly when very out of practice is very small. And if they want to do it, why stand in the way of evolution weeding out the terminally stupid?

Personally, it annoys me when the rule-makers try to impose a rule to cover what should be common sense. They usually just get in the way of those who are trying to act sensibly while not doing anything at all for those they are targeting.

I would prefer to get rid of the 12 hour rule altogether and leave it to the market and pilots' common sense.