PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poppy Ban in West Midlands
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2004, 20:02
handysnaks
Tightgit

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid boy
Allow me to get of the fence here, but isn't the West Midlands an area which has a high population of non-British, non ex military personnel?
That is correct, you did not say that Remembrance Day had been cancelled. However you did write

What if we asked for one of their festivals or acts of rememberance to be cancelled because of the same concerns?
So I think it was fair to point out that the Service had not been cancelled (only changed). I am assuming that you would intend a like for like approach to cancelling /changing festivals of various cultural groups throughout the Isles.

And thanks, I was in a particularly pompous mood and tried to be as patronising as possible, glad you picked up on it That was because you suggested the issue was about race ('their festivals') when it was nothing to do with it. By all means have a go at health and safety legislation but don't stir up a race issue where none exists
(Eagle 270, same for you, how have you managed to read a race or cultural issue in all this?)

My original point still remains though. Why is it at all an issue if we drop poppies or not? Surely the main aim is to get as many people as possible to think about the sacrifices made, not to ensure that there is a great stage show

Handy