PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moderation of this forum; what's it all about?
Old 1st Nov 2004, 16:23
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

...and if anyone has a problem with the way the moderators apply their editorial control over the forums that they put so much time and effort to look after on my behalf, then I will just apply my own personal rules and methods - which give a lot less feedback.

PPRuNe is not a free speech site. Never has been and never will be. It is MY site and I allow discussion of many aviation and even a few non aviation related topics. If I don't like something then I reserve the right to move it, delete it or edit it. PPRuNe membership now numbers over 80,000 people and is a testament the fact that neither I nor my moderators actually edit anyones post except to remove anything that is likely to cause PPRuNe harm, and rarely so at that.

Each forum is given autonomy by me for the moderators to control as they see fit. They work to a loose set of guidelines and in the case of this and a few other forums they are published as you can see above. Personally, I am not as kind and forgiving as the moderators of this and some other forums. I prefer to just wade in and if I find something is out of place or just a total waste of my and in my opinion the rest of the readerships time I will even just delete it. Anyone who has taken the time to type a long post whose content was maybe a rant or an attack or whatever, but was either a divergence from the topic or just a repeat of what had been mentioned earlier my have noticed that their handiwork had just disappeared. If so, it was probably because I decided that it wasn't worthy of a place on PPRuNe. Normally, I try to wait a bit and see if there is any merit on something before I delete a post, especially if it is obviously someone who is new to the forums. In the case of old time regulars, there is much less leeway. Funny thing though, most of the old regulars soon realise that their diatribes, if not suitable for PPRuNe, are removed and the lesson is learnt.

Anyway, enough of my 'hot air'. Each forum is moderated by one or more moderators who have been chose for their intellect, expertise and common sense. They provide their time and effort as volunteers as and when they can find the time to do so. There are always a few posters who either are not aware of this or choose to ignore the reality of the facts that this is a private website where editorial control is applied to a certain although limited extent. All I ask is that the posters and readers remain aware that the reason this website is still so popular amongst those of us who work in the industry is because of the dedicated moderation that prevents it all becoming one big flame war. If you are not happy with any aspects of the moderation, I suggest you use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of every page on PPRuNe or the 'Report this post' link on every post to make your views known and we will endeavour to see what can be done.