PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autoplay Mystery...
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2004, 15:31
energiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autoplay Mystery...

Ok, Here is the problem....

I am running XP SP2 on 2 sony laptop computers (both with inbuilt Memory Stick readers) and 1 Dell PC (with a USB MS reader).

Pre SP2 install - I could insert a Memory Stick (with photos on it) and XP would Autoplay, and helpfully bring up the 'import' wizard. This allowed me to copy all my photos to the HDD, whilst giving them useful names, and then delete them from the Memory Stick in one easy operation.

Post SP2 install - XP no longer Autoplays the MS when it is inserted. It now 'sees' the MS as a removable storage device, and will not Autoplay. I'm now having to copy all the photo files across manually, and then re-name them individually, then delete them from the Memory Stick. All of which takes 10 times longer! A right pain when I am dealing with around 100 photos a week

I have all the latest drivers, and have checked all the settings in 'properties', to no avail. Autoplay will not even run manually!I 'googled' the problem, and it appears that this is a very common 'recent' problem for both MS and CF card readers on almost all PCs. I even checked the MicroShaft 'knowledge (ha ha) base', and it did have a match from 2003, but did not deal with this problem.

As usual, MicroShaft are blaming everything else except their own software. Their limit of helpfulness was suggesting a 'clean' re-install of XP on all 3 computers! Yeah right!

The fact that it has happened on 3 separate PC's (not to mention thousands of others) which all have different set-ups and software installed did not concern them. Despite the fact that the only common thing between the 3 was XP SP2 install. Grrrrrr...

I'm livid about this, and wondered whether anyone else was 1. having the same trouble and 2. found a fix for it?

I remain yours, hopefully etc etc