PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reject for dog on runway
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2004, 10:50
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ years ago, when the Company I work for started to operate the B757 we had a number of manufacturers reps with us. As the B757 was relatively new in service, we were in effect learning about the B757 together. However, in some cases a rep could be a little over officious.
We sometimes had bird ingestion into the engines and to establish the damage to engine relative to the size fo the bird, this particular rep wanted any remaining debris of the bird so that he could get the debris annalysed (type, weight etc).
On one particular day a bird had gone down an engine, but had missed the core, so the Engineer had just cleaned off the debris and thrown the debris away. The Rep asked for the debris to be told that it was no longer available. He became quite indignant and one of my colleagues decided that he had had enough of this rep. My colleague said "it's ok, I know what sort of bird it was". The rep said "great, what was it?". To which my colleague said "it was a Condor". Somewhat taken aback the rep said "that's unusal ( we were at LGW!), are you sure?" My colleague replied "Oh yes, I found the body on the runway, it had a pipe in it's mouth". At this point a very dejected rep left the office.
I was detached to MBJ on one ocassion to change some Fan Blades on a B757 Engine due to a bird strike ex BGR. The same rep was on the phone to me asking for any debris. He was very pleased when I told him that not only did I have what was left of the bird that had gone down the engine, but I also had all of his mate that had hitched a ride down from BGR wrapped round the RH MLG.

Temps.