PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Llanbedr (North Wales)
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2004, 23:24
Time Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh Shell Island

Memories of my parents forcing me and my bro on a huge number of caravaning holidays to some farm in the hills above Llanbedr in the early-mid 80s as a kid. I think RAE Llanbedr probably started interested in flying. Every year we'd visit the
limited number of exhibits at Maes Artro, pass the fascinating Jindivik gateguard on our way to the beach, and take a stroll along the "slate walk" from the picnic spot, offering views of the aircraft parked up. My old man particularly enjoyed pointing out all the aircraft he knew from when he was a kid.

Didn't one of the Jindiviks crash in the dunes? I seem to remember something about that.

3 issues played on my mind there as a young'n.

1) What would happen if you took a photo, as the sign on the road through to the beach appeared to my young mind to say "MOD property, anyone taking photos will be shot"!

2) Where did the man sit in that red and yellow aeroplane thing by the gate? I couldn't really fathom the whole pilotless thing.

3) What unspoken things go on in the village during the hours of darkness?

The last issue left me wetting the bed at night. Still does.

It's a shame the buggers in suits are closing the Airfield though. It will take some of the character away from a nice area.

Last edited by Time Bandit; 30th Oct 2004 at 23:41.