PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying Policy Criticised by Coroner
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2004, 07:36
TURNBULL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound controversial but this is PPrune. Many of those contributing here have adopted the traditional aircrew defense of low flying saves lives and simulation can never replace live flying. They are absolutely correct!!

However, no one has raised the issue of how much [low flying] is enough. We do not have a low flying competancy target to achieve and generally can low fly as much as we want - true? When was the last time the DA or DFC told you that you were competent enough at LF and the transit should be flown at medium level. Those decisions tend to be dictated by the weather. In fact many self autorising units can do and go where they please. We are almost self-policing. But is there a regime that says young guys get x amount of LF while more experienced crews get less - no. Where does your sqn record an individual's LF stats?

Don't get me wrong, I love LF and it is an essential part of our job, but how can we justify it without knowing how much we do as individuals and how much we genuinely need.

As for simulators, I think we all know the answer to that. Its not real and it doesn't do what it says on the tin. The Inquest expert may have had 30 odd years helicopter experience but it was all in the North Sea oilrigs - not quite the same.