PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA18-150 dem x-wind limit?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2004, 13:19
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I knew I'd get my nuts caught in a wringer if I started to debate how to fly tail wheel airplanes.

So first let me add on to my comment about short wheel landing touch downs. By " at the stall " I mean just prior to the stall.

Stiknruda and Aerobatic flyer, yes the Pitts is a demanding aeroplane to fly, I just started flying a S2B in Holland and for sure it lacks for foward visibility on final approach and in the landing flare. But like most all aircraft it is easy to approach and land in the curving approach to the touch down. ( I used the word "most" to prevent someone from telling me a 747 is not easy to land in the curved approach to the touch down. )

Unless of course you do a steep straight in at 200mph and use the prop as a speed brake just prior to the flare for a wheel landing like Sean Tucker, but who can afford the engine and prop he flys with?

So even including a Pitts, I still have not flown a tail wheel airplane that can't be wheeled on.

Once again it is my own personal opinion that the problem with lack of undersatnding and ability to do wheel landings is instructors that do not fully understand the subject they are supposed to teach. Maybe that is why they get paid peanuts?

OOOOhhh..that comment is going to get me in trouble.

Chuck E.