PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ba's DEP fleets
Thread: Ba's DEP fleets
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2004, 10:51
Justbelowcap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Nigel

There speaks the voice of somebody with very romantic illusions of the world around them, where the grass is always greener. In this world all doctors are high earners, all lawyers are greedy and paid beyond all our dreams. Well I've news for you that just isn't the case. I actually started life as a lawyer, then trained as a barrister but had to give it all up because sometimes you just have to do the thing that you love most. For me that was flying. Anybody who chooses a profession because of the renumeration will pay a high price for the once a month high received when looking at the payslip.

Out of the five or so people that I keep in contact with who have stayed in the legal profession only one earns more than I do. I've been quite lucky in my BA life but to assume that every lawyer/barrister is living the LA Law life is simply not true.

My next door neighbour is a GP. Again he earns nothing like the amount I take home each month. Also if you think BA is badly run you should hear stories about the NHS. Makes EWS seem like a smooth running swiss clock. His time as a junior doctor is comparable to how many pilots are treated early on in their working life.

Their view of how pilots are treated is as romantic as your view of the other professions.

If you want to fly don't do it for the money because a cockpit is a lonely place for somebody who doesn't love flying. I've flown with guys who, deep down, are afraid of flying having joined the airline for the wrong reasons. These poor people are in a constant state of panic, the slightest noise or bump making them react as if the aircraft will fall out the sky. A sad way to earn your living.

If you want to fly then BA still offers you the best long term security. We work hard but the pay is good. The new pension is not so great but that is a function of society and not the airline. Again it pays to be in the airline with the greatest chance of long term survival, as far as pensions are concerned, in the UK that is still BA. Seniority is everything, you'd be a fool to turn down LGW because the differance of even a hundred places can change your career massively. 737 is a good aircraft to start flying on, LGW has a pretty good network. But most importantly of all you will only be there for a few years, if thats what you want, and when those precious commands start becoming availiable you will get them before your mates who all those years ago wanted to wait till they were offered 777. Anybody who turns down a fleet at BA with the intention of waiting for a "better" fleet hasn't understood how the seniority system works.

1. The senior pilot ALWAYS gets the roster he wants before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.
2. The senior pilot ALWAYS gets to fly on the aircraft he wants before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.
3. The senior pilot will ALWAYS get his chance at command before the next most senior. For the rest of your career.

In the past one place has made the difference between getting a command after 7 years or waiting 17 years. All those that have taken LGW places will get their commands before those waiting for 747 places. And BA can do what it wants with you in the first 5 years...so 747 may turn out to be the 'bus on day 2. That's what happened with the last lot of DEP's. If you want to join BA then take the first job that is offered.