PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA18-150 dem x-wind limit?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 22:38
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to blame myself for all this typing on this key board, but what the hell it is the private pilots forum, so I will just keep giving you my thoughts on this subject.

So, to Flying for fun::

I said that I have not flown a tail wheel airplane that I couldn't wheel land. However when first flying a strange tail wheel airplane I make a note of how high the tail would have to be to have a prop strike.

I am sure there are aircraft out there that would have a prop strike if you got the tail to high, I just have not flown one..

MLS-12D ::

The swift can be wheeled or three pointed with no great difficulty and is a little great toy I just loved it.

Dub Thrub ::

We each have out preceptions and experiences with " How best to fly "

Try thinking about this.

It is easier to place the wheels on a given point, lets say on the first ten feet of a paved runway wheel landing then it is to try and judge the float needed to contact the exact same spot when three pointing the thing. Not to mention that raising the tail after the three point will take more time and eat up more runway to get sufficient weight on the wheels for maximum braking.

Furthermore a wheel landing can be made with the touchdown speed at the stall, you just have to practice.

A tail wheel airplane is a tail wheel airplane, they all have the same take off and landing characteristics, they will of coures have different speeds and may be different in size but they are all the same as far as how to fly them.

I would never allow any pilot to fly a tail wheel airplane unless they were properly trained in how to fly one, if they can only perform three point landings they are are only partially trained.

There is no possible way to convince me that a partially trained pilot is competent.

But hey, we all have our opinions. For all you pilots who were deprived of proper training the fault lies with your instructor.

Chuck