PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying Policy Criticised by Coroner
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 21:17
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what should the MOD do? The H&S Executive man gave a very balanced view. Over 4 years he said there had been some 114 deaths from riding accidents and about 34 were helicopter related. (Approx).

Is there a record of incidents or complaints involving horses?

Avoiding riding schools is one thing avoiding horse riding areas and bridle paths is something else.

With a smaller, expeditionary air force gravitating to southern and eastern England there will obviously be pressure from the helicopters for local low flying areas and avoidance of the long flog up to Sutherland etc.

One helicopter expert (40 years) said that the MOD must take action and that low flying at 50 feet was unnecessary. He said it was unnecessary as it was inadequate training for operational flying at 50 feet.

Maybe we should stop day time low level flying. Maybe we should agree time separation? Low fly between dawn and 10, ride like hell until 2 and low fly until 5. Ride from 5 until 8 and low fly until dark. If not applicable over the whole country maybe zoning could be used and notified?

Treating the horse fraternity the same way as we treat the microlight, parachute and other sensitive groups and share the scarce airspace is the way ahead.

An obvious zoning and time separation is during half-term holidays when younger, inexperienced riders may be more at risk.