PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA18-150 dem x-wind limit?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 20:52
DubTrub

Chuck

I personally disagree with you there: in my experience the shortest landing roll is achieved by 3-pointing and then raising the tail for the max braking reasons you mention (Extras and the like seem to like this). But this (and indeed your) suggestion should be attempted only by experienced pilots, because of the potential to "nose-over".

Incidentally, the DC3 operating out of Hampton, NH (2300 ft, grass, 80 ft trees each end) appears to operate quite happily without stomping on the brakes.

Not wanting to cast nasturtiums,
most of my tail wheel time is in the DC3
would you at least agree that operating a DC3 is not going to have an awful lot of relevance to the majority of tailwheel pilots? Particularly those who are checking out in a Cub 150? And indeed those on a forum such as this?

Another consideration is that instruction here in the UK also gives much time to teaching when not to fly; keeping eyes on the weather, runway/wind direction at the destination, the pilot's abilities, personal limits, etc. I do not mean to suggest that this is not also the case in BC, what with its own weather being inclement so often, but perhaps here with our unpredictable wx, we give it a little more attention.

I still think that wheelers are not necessary for a tailwheel endorsement, but do agree that they should form part of further training before pilots progress to certain types or for extending their competence (and indeed for fun!).

All of the above posted IMHO by a relatively inexperienced pilot, but who only does wheelers for the fun of it.