PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA18-150 dem x-wind limit?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 19:22
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

FlyingForFun, I support your plan to require proficient wheelers as a condition of all tailwheel checkouts.

I agree with Chuck that there are few if any tailwheel airplanes that can't perform wheel landings (IMHO, a Europa doesn't disprove this, since it isn't a tailwheel aircraft). But I suppose there must be a few out there, since (in setting out the criteria for a tailwheel endorsement in the USA) FAR §61.31(i) says:

"The flight training must include at least the following maneuvers and procedures:
(i) Normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings;
(ii) Wheel landings (unless the manufacturer has recommended against such landings); and
(iii) Go-around procedures"

[emphasis added].

I have read that the Globe Swift should not be three-pointed (see also here), but don't know if that is actually correct. I do know that when I flew in a Swift last year, the pilot demonstrated both wheelers and three pointers without incident (perhaps he was just lucky).

If you are trying to do the shortest landing the best way is to wheel it on and touch down as close to the start of the runway as possible, once the wheels are on the runway you lower the nose to put as much weight as possible on the wheels so you can use maximum braking.
Chuck, you have, what, 50 times more experience than me, so I defer to your wisdom. However, I remained convinced that a relatively low-time tailwheel pilot will almost invariably perform a shorter landing using the three-point method.