PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charles E Brown Aviation Photographer
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 13:06
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera above the Clouds I, II, and III, IIRC.

Edited by the late Tony Harold of the RAF Museum, killed in a replica Nieport 24 accident at North Weald I believe.

Books published by Airlife, now defunct, and taken over by Crowood. I think they're all out of print. The third book was colour, and inferior to the first two, which had colour sections only.

Stunning pics throughout. His b&w photography has rarely IMHO been beaten. Operating from the 1920s to the 1960s, he took photos of an amazing array of a/c.

His cameras (wooden boxes with a lens on the front, and a cross-hair sight on the top...) are on display at the Cosford Aerospace Museum.

Part of the colour photo issue was that he was given a batch of kodachrome by Life Magazine to do a feature on the wartime RAF. There was little colour film in the UK during the war. IIRC, the film was 35mm rather than the larger format b&w he normally used, and limited what he could take in comparason.

There's a lot more, the above is off the top of my head, and bears no guarentees!

Let me just finish with a rousing endorsement for the books - well worth buying, and reading. I must look mine out tonight!

Cheers