PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crying Wolf with Weather
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 05:58
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crying Wolf with Weather

Is it my imagination or are these all too frequent "Severe Weather Warnings" crying wolf too much?

We keep having some very stern and definite warnings issued on the met-office web site and the last five times they have been issued they having come to nothing. In fact on two of those days I had a beautiful days flying with slight winds and near perfect vis.

The warning today is suggesting a 40% chance of severe disruption in my area. I shall be interested to see what develops. When I was a young child the sight of someones umbrella blowing inside out was put down to a breezy day and nothing else.

No doubt some of you will join me by saying that the world has become unbeliavably and unecessarily PC over the last ten years. Is it that someone has sued the Met-Office for tripping over in a gust that wasn't forecast??

I just feel that the over zealousness of the site to give out warnings might just backfire one day when we get some REAL weather. If they suddenly realised that there were to be genuine 80 mph winds across the country how would they word their ninth Severe Warning of that month?