PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to get tanker jobs?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2004, 12:54
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
FFP

I laughed out loud when I read:

"Do not be fuelled (gettit ?) by those that quotes line such as
"No one kicks ass without Tanker gas"
for they are the deluded career types. On the other hand
"No one spends rates like a Tanker mate"
will be your motto."

You, sir, have missed your calling! Jack Dee, Stephen Fry step aside - we have a new king of comedy..... (did you think I meant a short-ar.sed miserable po.of?) We haven't seen wit like that since Stop Start put on his serious trousers in an effort to get his next promotion, and stopped being the PPRuNe class clown.

Flymia

Why do you want to fly military 'airplanes' but not fast jets? I'm genuinely curious as to why a young lad interested in joining the USAF would actively not want to fly the most exciting types they have to offer? There's nothing wrong with wanting to fly tankers, transports, helicopters or whatever, of course, and some would claim (perhaps with justification) that some non-fighter aircraft will give you more interesting flying, a better career path, or other advantages. But I suspect that recruiters over there would view your stated ambition to 'fly heavies' with some scepticism, and might suspect that you just wanted an easy route into an airline seat.

Among the banter you've been exposed to here, someone suggested that: "You could constantly fail to achieve through fast jet flying training then get posted to tankers." There's a small kernel of truth in there, somewhere!

Certainly if you are serious about the USAF as a career, then aiming for Fast Jets is perhaps the best way of ensuring that you get through training at all, and the USAF, like many air arms, fills many of its transport/tanker slots with those who narrowly fail to make the grade as fast jet pilots, or who were originally selected on the basis of aptitude tests which suggested that they had the potential to go 'all the way' as it were.