PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diving and Flying
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2004, 11:16
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diving and flying mix just fine if you understand the rules for both, several thousand hours under water and above have done no harm to me and both my HSE diving medical and Class 1 or in date. Some people are just predisposed to medical problems.

Regards, X-rays and computers- Tosh, X-rays do not effect dive computers.

Taking your computer on an aircraft to watch the display will do you no good either, they are not calibrated for surface use and the resolution for altitude equalisation is based on 300m increments and merely reduces the no stop time and then lengthens the deco time.

Regards flying and diving there is no definative answer for the no fly time and if you choose to ignore the various agencies extremely conservative guidelines then it is a personal choice.

Helium breathing mix dives are a safer bet to fly after than air. Helium is a thinner gas than air and enters and leaves the body rapidly. There is not enough ambient pressure to hold Helium in the body above about 3-6m so if you are going to get a bend you will get it in water on helium, for this reason stops are started deepr on Helium. As an example, from a 140m dive last week my first stop was at 118m. yes that meters not feet.

I regularily fly in the afternoon after diving in the morning and after 23yrs and more than 8,000 dives probably have enough of a statistical base to support the theory.

And for the record yes I did right the book! Anyone who wants to know the ins and outs of bubble seeding, doppler counts and decompression theory PM me and I will be happy to bore you to death.

At the end of the day my advice is if you do not have the understanding of what you have done to your body then follow your training agencies advice and use there guidlines for no fly.