PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - En Route Comms Failure Question
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2004, 16:19
Dengue_Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
En Route Comms Failure Question

Hi, we've just had an interesting discussion on the flight deck concerning the ICAO Comms failure procedures.

Given that the aircraft comms are at fault, an IFR flight and there is no EAT received or acknowledged.

When do you descend to make good your ETA? We are not quite sure if you are supposed to go overhead your destination navaid at cruise altitude or descend according to your current flight plan to make good your original ETA.

What's confusing me is the 'make ETA +30', is the 30 minutes time to descend from overhead at cruise altitude or just a time 'window' in case you're late - you know like a bit of flex before overdue action is taken?

Sorry if this is a bit basic or been asked time and time again, but as the only native English speaker on the flight deck I said I'd try to find an answer as there are so many ifs, buts and ors in the Jeppesen Supplement I'm now quite confused. Also the section we read doesn't actually mention the 7600 squawk (it was mentioned in the Hong Kong PRC national section on Emergencies).

Can anyone give me some guidance or point me to something that unravels the legalese writings I'm struggling with? Is there a Guru?

Thanks