PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2004, 06:01
bound_for_dubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize for my wording, cowboy was probably not the best word to use. I am sure they are all great guys, and very professional at what they do. But to the outside world, especially people who do plan on working for this company, the vibe is that u've all lost ur passion for what you do and u do it for $$$. Its hard for even someone with enough hours to get a straight to the point non bias answer, because someone always has something smart to say. Not everyone is after the money, I know I sure ain't. If I was I'd be a lawyer or Doctor.

Emirates is treating you guys this way because they can. In terms of business and management, its brilliant all though the ethics are horrible. They lower ur pay and increase ur workload because they have a huge pilot pool, guys that are willing to move down there cause they think its where they want to be. Don't like the way they are treating you, fine, they can have you replaced faster than you can say "honey pack your bags, we're leaving". They got guys with just as much time or guys with not as much but with the money to buy their own endorsements and to buy their seat in the flight deck.

They don't treat baggage handlers and engineers this way, because maybe their supply or hiring pool for those jobs are not as big as the pilots. And since pilots are more likely to migrate than baggage handlers they don't have a problem with it.

I am not as dumb as you think, I know how it all works, I've worked co-op in major corporations and my study in college was aviation management.

You got to live with what you got and sometimes life doesn't ask you you what you want. You think its bad at EK, its bad almost everywhere. In the end its you guys that decided to go there, you signed the contract or agreement or whatever it is you guys do to make things official (if that even exists there)

I know it isn't easy to live there and work especially if you're not local, I have many friends that live there, study there and work there. They are why I became interested in going down there. I am not too thrilled either. My first job is gonna require me to live in my van in the boonies for the spring, summer and fall season because the pay is less than $12000CDN a year, but I have to pay my dues like everyone else.

In the end, weigh out your odds, if its not worth your time then leave and go somewhere that makes you happy, but don't spoil opportunities and chances for others who started just like you and deserve every chance you got!

Greatly Appreciated,

BFD

Last edited by bound_for_dubai; 25th Oct 2004 at 06:47.