PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reject for dog on runway
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2004, 21:34
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - the pedant in me fought a battle with the me who says "Loser! Get a life!" and won...

English are Brits. Welsh are Brits. Scots are Brits. Irish ain't (even Northern Irish).

For the sake of the terminally confused and the former colonials who visit these pages, England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland are all countries in their own right. They form part of the British Isles. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The Isle of Wight does not form part of the island of Britian but is part of Great Britain. The United Kingdom (which is the name of the political entity) includes Northern Ireland with the aforementioned three countries. The Isle of Man I have no idea about (and nor do most Manxmen ). The Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles but is a sovereign state in its own right. The Channel Islands are a Crown Dominion, and do not form part of either the UK or, indeed, the EU. since historically they only became subject to the English Crown when Duke William of Normandy ("The Conqueror") became King of England in 1066. Historically they are part of Normandy and got forgotten about (and a Good Thing too).

The things you learn about on TechLog...