PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2004, 08:21
Gulfa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are a few points to enhance the thread.
1. Our new man at the head of flight Ops ( tcas ) is in a similar boat to crap flyer.
He’s done a decent enough time in BA to be fat dumb and happy, with a handsome crystallized pension and a few pennies to come from Her Majesty.
Plus he will have capitalized enormously from the UK property boom over the last 25 years.
He doesn’t need this job !
He’s not ready to retire either, he’s just got sick and tired of bashing his head against a wall built of reinforced concrete by BALPA.
He’s obviously a pilot far happier behind a desk than in a flight deck.
Here he can make proposals and changes with only a brief reference to his puppeteers in the offices above, and if it’s about saving money, there’ll give him instant approval.
He’s having a great time massaging his ego shackle free.
If he has to clear out his desk by 12 noon, as happened to his two predecessors he won’t give a damn, just home to the country house and a cool pint down the local pub.

2. The issue of unity referenced here as a means of mass pressure on flight Ops management.
Most of us are here because of circumstance rather than choice.
Unity is generally biased by patriotism. That’s not to say all BA pilots are British and all Air France are French, and I’m sure all the Ozzie pilots in 89 where not Australian but, the predominant numbers are and were compatriots living in the there motherland.
Under those conditions it’s much easier to make a big noise and unite !
Here are 50 + different nationalities, many from countries who’s economy, currency, political structure and aviation industry is shot to pieces.
We simply should not expect those guys to stand up make a noise and jeopardize there entire existence.
I think the majority of our workforce is in fact in this boat.

3. It’s interesting to see the guys making reference to old productivity verses new with very little difference.
Just remember, very little is steady state in this airline for very long, it’ll change again and again. And I don’t believe the skeptic’s who say “ always for the worst ”.
Instructor’s, don’t get carried away with your new found regular income. Pay per duty is only a couple of years old, and at the time was introduced as a money saving measure.

4. legal Insurance ? Very handy !
I insure my car fully comprehensive. Would I feel at ease if I were involved in a road fatality, Yeh Sure, it could be anything from a long prison spell, to go home and forget about it.
The jobs the same, It’s a lottery ! Insurance or no insurance, “ a whole different set of rules ”

Cheers guys, I’m not happy about our imposed new rules and regs, but I’m not in a fit of depression either.