PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2004, 03:07
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I agree with many of the replies posted here about this thread. I still cannot endorse the actions that warning14 proposed. However I do agree that this "early christmas present" should have stayed under the tree.

One thing that no one has mentioned here is not what we have been given, as to why we have been given it. I say given as the word offer does not apply in EK. Interestingly enough the bullet points on the document have question marks against them. I guess that means "could change" As to the why; The company's immediate problem is the training dept. I am glad for the trainers getting a rise of a sort (metaphorically speaking!). Enough of them have resigned to make the company sit up and pay attention. Some very good guys sadly Many will argue that there are alot of issues the company need to address. If you look back to the meeting in December, the turnout was huge in this company's standard turnout history. Everyone waited with baited breath for the huge change of T & C's that was about to happen. It didnt of course. But did you really think it would. Remember the company only changes things when it has to. So back to the trainers. The company had to give them a rise of a sort. It is still not enough but then I am not a trainer and have no aspirations to be one. Hopefully it may coax a few to stay and even the odd one to come back. But as it stands not enough to change their standard of living.

It is however the standard of living which makes most trainers quit. There is just not enough of them o09out there to make a difference. The money may mean a few will join. But then I used to work with people who would work on a day off for free. The other immediate problem for the comapny is the price of oil. Oil prices from what I understand are a speculation as to what the supply/demand will be in months to come and not just now. On that note I think the price has not finished rising yet. I would say another 20% before it tops out. This will affect the world not just EK. I cant say I blame any company cost cutting to stay above water. In future days it may be something we could even be thankful for as our jobs could still be here for those that choose to stay.

In March 2005 we start taking stock of 1 aircraft a month for the next 7 years (I think) The next immediate problem will be getting people to fly these aircraft. If what the company has given us is enough to coax new people to join they will not have to alter anything else. No matter how much moaning we do it will not make a single difference.. Their job will be to keep the company alive. If they dont then 1100 pilots will be out of work .

Most of you have 2 options. Vote with your voice i.e. here or with your feet. Enough people from around the world (in aviation) read this forum and website. People naively base their career choices on what is written here. Many people aspiring to join EK will look here for guidance as whether to join or not. If I had based my choices on this rumour network then I would be a **** shoveller living in Hounslow with the other standard 15 indians trying to get a British passport.

So I say one more time. The company's immediate concern is not our T&C's. When aircraft start staying on the ground because there are not enough people to fly them, then things will change. But remember we will only get the bare minimum.

Now I am going back to bed...................