PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ba's DEP fleets
Thread: Ba's DEP fleets
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 22:16
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4AD

How many weekends might a junior guy expect to get off per month? Are we talking zero month in month out!?
Aside from Leave / Duty Free weeks, best you work on Zero for the first 3-4 years. Anything better than that is a bonus... You might get a few by luck, but they will be random, and nothing to do with your preferences / bidding.

I believe there is a 3 year seat hold (maybe more).
First 5 years is postings (or not) "entirely at the discretion of BA". So if they reinvent ATPs out of Macrihanish, off you go if BA want...

What is the likelihood that you could then successfully bid 777 FO?
3 problems:
1. You need the 5 year "freeze" to be waived, or wait 5 years <G>
2. You then need to successfully bid i.e. your current fleet can spare you, the new fleet / seat needs people, AND you are senior enough to be eligible for that seat.
3. And, like the P2s now waiting for LH, it all gets scr*wed up, because BA recruit a load of DEPs directly onto the 777, and take all the slots that would have been due in 2 above.

Bear in mind with 2006 coming along, all "traditional" progression will slow down. And maybe in disproportionate ways - just a small slow down in retirements could mean all LH P2s coming in as DEPs i.e. anyone recruited onto SH will not see a P2 LH slot before say a SH Command (10 years? 15 years?).

Be very careful... check out the red tails <G>