PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Van has engine failure in Tanzania
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 19:50
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sad to hear about another engine going pop.......good to hear that the Van came through when it was needed.....that low stall speed sure comes in handy.

Just to add my 10cents..pence..kopecks..zlotis..worth on the PT6 engine..as I read from my well worn Cessna Grand Caravan POH.

"engine temps above 720 ITT may result in increased engine wear if sustained for prolonged periods"

It seems to me 720 Degrees is the magic number.......however if memory serves..the Bandit I used to fly specified 680-700....for the 34 version PT6...and the King Air was about the same. I suspect there is something more to this engine issue than a simple component failure. Ok I am speculating..but this is a rumour sight after all....Id be looking VERY closely at the hot section history..also there have been a number of issues relating to blade erosion in both the compressor and turbine sections (yes its a reverse free flow turbine..but you get my drift) due to environmental factors over the years that have as a cumulative thing caused engine failures. Mayby Im wide of the mark....we will just have to wait and see

Oh and I love the Van..lovely to fly..crappy in turbulence..but its got lots of leg room....and a great map light for doing the cross-word....(yes I do long legs)

Cheers

H