PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Month with a Mac: A Die-Hard PC User's Perspective
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 17:09
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtual PC for the Mac... DON'T BUY IT!!!!

Guess who bought the company that originally produced it? Yep... Micro****e and they have ruined it. It will run Windoze XP but it is utterly useless unless your metabolic rate is the same as stalactite.

M$ tweaked the product and it is now useless. I wasted money on upgrading the old version. I needed access to a Windoze environment to run Explorer as some dorks decided to make the company intranet accessible ONLY to the Windoze version of Explorer.

Thankfully I married a lovely wench who has her own Dell laptop. Now I just use that for work access to my roster. Everything else is Mac.

Just to point out some more of the complexities, I purchased a Netgear wireless router for the home and a card for the laptop. Trying to set up the router using the PC was tedious and not very clear. So, ethernetted into the router with the Mac and set it up using just a few clicks and voila... home hot spot. Discovered a neighbour had one too and hadn't protected it and thought about getting rid of my broadband but on second thoughts gave him some friendly advice about protecting his network.

Just ask PPRuNe Towers about some very important people who run unprotected networks. Probably because they are such a pain to set up using 'Doze systems.