PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Point & Power Approach Technique
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2001, 19:08
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle - I still stand by my view that making the aircraft climb or descend by fiddling with the power is valid only for a prop. However, ANY powered (fixed wing)aeroplane be flown accurately by setting an aiitude to make the aeroplane go where YOU want it to, holding that attitude while you sort out the power, ensuring that you are in trim AT ALL TIMES and then resetting the attitude, trim and power to stay there when you get there.

I was taught attitude flying by my RAF QFIs in the 80s and have found this attitude equally valid in civillian training. When converting prop trained blokes to jets, those who have been taught to use power for ROC/ROD at all times struggle - where as those previously taught to do what I advocate above (because that is what their organisation prefers) have less trouble.

Ever flown a HUD equipped jet? Point it where you want it to go than make it do it at the right speed by varying the noise. Works on all known airliners, too.

How else are you going to hand-fly an aeroplane with the autothrottle engaged (SOP for hand flying on all the airlines I deal with)?

Remember, we are training guys for airlines - THEY fly airliners, not Fireflys or Warriors - and this is the technique that the airlines themselves advocate. OK so the AP is engaged most of the time - but the AP does exactly what I describe: sets an attitude to achieve the desired flight path, adjusting it if it is not right, meanwhile adjusting power (via autothrottle) to control speed.

Try it on a lightweight go around in a jet - high ROC, reduce power and watch yourself sail through the level off altitude with the IAS decreasing - I see it regularly from guys taught in the style you seem to prefer. don't forget - I am talking about a technique that applies in all phases of flight except steady power climb or descent (as I said earlier) and is equally valid for the approach. some other posters have said they "don't look at the ASI, just the aiming point, unless the speed decays". So just how do they know when the speed has decayed? You can not sucessfully judge airspeed by looking out of the window, not to an accuracy of less than 20 kts, anyway. Another said the "power for ROD" technique allows him to "drag it in without changing his aiming point" - I hope I am never his passenfger when he goes low on an ILS or visual approach.

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]