PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Safety Evenings
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 08:50
DRJAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did attend one last winter (I'm a PPL/IMCR, 175 hrs TT, 103 PIC), and found it food for thought.

After reflection, I believe these evenings to be useful on the whole. Like others, though, I think there are some problems:

i. the style of presentation erred on the side of being patronising

ii. the style of the two speakers differed markedly, with one of them being obviously nervous and in need of a confidence boost for presentational skills.

iii. the content was such that the whole presentation could have been condensed into a fraction of the time taken. (Having carved out an evening from my personal schedule, I was really looking for more content than I got! Particularly around the whole issue of IFR flight and safety.)

iv. the venue left quite a bit to be desired in terms of the sort of comfort required to enable an audience to give full attention to speakers and presentation. (Obviously, this will differ from venue to venue, and they (the CAA) are at the mercy of what is available if they are to bring these presentations to a large audience.)

The most serious criticism being point i., since this is likely to alienate the audience and prevent any messages getting through. A rethink could well be beneficial. (And these thoughts were offered by letter to the organization.)