PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2004, 11:07
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No pilot would revert to tactics such as warning is suggesting. We are all a little more grown up than that.

The proof to all of this is not whether people resign, complain or work to rule. The proof will be whether people will join or want to join and help to expand the company. You cant moan or complain, well you can but it does not get anywhere and you all know that as well as I do. The company can only expand if they can recruit pilots. If no pilots want to come, then the pay structure and package will have to be reviewed again. We have alot of aircraft coming in the next few years, so just sit back and wait. There are not that many pilots out there, especially those who want to come to the UAE. I say the UAE because Etihad now will have a share, not only in the market, but also in pilot recruitment. We are all mercenaries at the end of the day and we go where the money is. Etihad are not getting the pilots they need and neither is Emirates. The package will have to change for both companies. Whoever pays the most will get the pilots, it is that simple.

In this part of the world if you have been here any amount of time, you soon come to realise that complaining and moaning will get you absolutely nowhere. Using tactics as warning suggested will just get you fired. So just sit back and wait a while it will all change for our benefit. You signed the contract to join the company which means you accepted what was offered at the time. The company will not change the package unless it has too. This will happen at the speed of a dripping tap. I have dealt with unions and management before and know that things do not happen quickly. It only happens when it needs to.

As to taxing slowly, configuring early etc. The only people who loose out are us, as our profit share will take a knock, which means ultimately our pay packets take a knock. The days of big pay in the major airlines is all but over. Companies are governed by bean counters now. It is the same the world over. I would rather be in an expanding company and have a job than in one where I am about to loose my job. Look at this time towards the american market. American and United are not in the best of conditions.

As to working and only having 4 days off, I cant see it myself. There are still laws which govern the industry ref CAP 371 and our FTL. Go and work in the charter world in the UK and tell me then if you are working hard or not. Our rosters are stable and we at least get a choice of a sort as to what we do.

It doesnt really matter where we go in the industry there is always room for better pay and conditions. I am still earning less than I was in my last company and that is several years on. I do however have a better standard of living. It is my choice to stay here. We have been given a small pay review of a sort. Take it as it is not open for negotiation. If they they need to give more they will but only if they have to. At least we all get paid for the heavy crew flts to New York and Australia. They could have said not to that.

So I dont think I am being hard on warning14. I have been in aviation a very long time and know that you have a choice to stay or go. They call the shots as there is no union here or will there ever be. Unions never really worked anyway. They were merely a means of trade off with the management. They are like politicians, they will will give you one thing but you have to concede something else. In Australia that ended up being jobs and careers......... I guess that one has been done to death. !!