PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Static System
Thread: Static System
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2004, 10:11
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just couldn't believe it all,

It was just like watching "Who wants to be a Millionaire" at my place, where I was literally yelling out what I thought were the 'answers'!

I realise both the normal and alternate static ports were covered, and all those indications were present, though both the MACH TRIM and RUDDER RATIO indications were not of any great concern.

Both pilots, I'm thinking, had instrument displays quite similar to the B737NG, where TAS, wind and Ground speed are displayed on the pilots PFDs.
If not, the FMCs both have ground speed and wind indication.
I'm ignoring GPS as they don't seem to have had it fitted.

Also, on descent thru 2500 feet AGL, both Rad Alts would have chimed-in and accurately displayed altitude whilst the airplane remained below 2500 feet, I know they were operating, the TERRAIN, TERRAIN warning was very evident.

So, with a reasonably accurate IAS indication, a very accurate altitude indication, contact with Lima Radar on VHF to give radar vectors to the ILS, no need to climb above 2500 feet as the vectors could avoid any high ground (Lima's on the coast).

Both the ILS receivers were not affected by the static problems, why couldn't they fly the acft to a safe landing?

I guess the same 'ol saying still applies, no FE and nobody on board who knows how the thing works, how many times!!

Cheers (I think!)

FD