PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reflective Runway markers issues (threads merged)
Old 21st Oct 2004, 08:59
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Marquis bypassed the normal channels at TC in order to quickly obtain the extremely helpful response from Eduard Alf. The normal procedures have now come through with a response. I reproduce most of it as it adds a little more info on the use of retroreflective markers for runway lighting.

"We ......................... are pleased to offer the following comments in response to your request.

The use of retro-reflective markers for runway lighting was introduced
with the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) in 1996. The A.I.P.
Canada AGA section was updated at the same time.

CARs, Part III, Subpart 1 regulate the use of retro-reflective markers
for runway, taxiway and apron lighting at uncertified aerodromes. CARs,
Part III, Subpart 2 and TP312, 4th edition regulate the use of retro-reflective
markers for private use taxiways and aprons at certified sites. Please
note that the use of retro-reflective markers is not allowed for runway
lighting at certified aerodromes in Canada.

Interestingly, concerns pertaining to the performance and durability of
retro-reflective markers have been raised and some studies conducted.

I have no information with respect to other countries using retro-reflective
markers and this would require some research.

....................the CARs are available at the following URL:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations.../A/aa/menu.htm

We are aware of one manufacturer / supplier of this type of marker and
his URL is:

http://www.rbi-inc.com/pages/civilrun.htm

TP 312, 4th edition is not being printed anymore. A request to Mr. Guy
Héneault would be required should you want to obtain a copy of TP312 or
additional information pertaining to the performance of retro-reflective
markers. Mr. Héneault can be reached at (613) 991-9939 or via email at
[email protected]."

You will note from the above that the CARS and AIP Canada were updated to include the use of retroreflective markers in 1996. The articles on the RBI web site indicate that retroreflective markers were actually in use a few years before that, even as a portable system used by the Canadian Forces. It is almost beyond belief that a decade later some South Africans can claim to have invented them as a new and unique product! They must have known about them. Apart from what they should have known through aviation circles, publications and contacts a simple Google or similar search would have turned up references to the use of retroreflective markers for runway lighting. It is most disturbing that they have still not retracted their false claims, even after they were sent the following email:

Tom Chalmers, World Airnews Magazine
Gavin Brown, Landing Eyes
John Stone, SA Red Cross AMS
[email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

18 September 2004

Re: Retroreflective markers for runway lighting

It was most disappointing to note that in the September issue of World Airnews Magazine there is no retraction of the false claims of retroreflective markers for runway lighting being a new and unique product recently developed in South Africa.

Anyone involved in aviation in a professional capacity would be checking PPRuNe from time to time and receiving the free email newsletters from AVweb in order to keep current with developments in world aviation. I assume you consider yourselves to be aviation professionals and so I have to assume that you have read the posts regarding this on the African Aviation forum of PPRuNe and have chosen to ignore them. This is most regrettable for the damage that these false claims do to the credibility of South African aviation as a whole and to World Airnews Magazine.

If you are not aware of the posts, which I find to be scarcely credible, then I suggest you go to www.pprune.org - to the forum index - to African Aviation and look at the two threads titled “Retroreflective markers for runway lighting” and “World Airnews Magazine – Infomercials or serious inaccuracies damaging SA aviation credibility?”

I trust you will reconsider your stance and have the good grace to correct the situation.

Cheers, Carrier

Does their continuing refusal to retract the false claims, apologise and acknowledge the true pioneers of the use of retroreflective markers for runway lighting say anything about the levels of personal integrity, scruples and moral fiber of the individuals concerned?