PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Static System
Thread: Static System
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2004, 08:21
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a high speed stall does the stick do anything or is there only an oral/anunciator warning
- Healy - I'm not familiar with the 757 but I think you are a little confused there - the 'High Speed Warning' is (normally) driven by the airspeed (hence 'confused' in this case) whilst the low speed stall warning (stickshake) is (normally) driven by airstream attack angle (probably correct in this case). That is a vane on the fuselage side and would probably have been unaffected.

I cannot imagine there being any warning of a 'high-speed stall' on a 757. Normally the clue is airframe buffet if you try to pull too much 'g' at high speed.

OOI, the BAE Lightning and Folland Gnat had large, attention grabbing main Attitude Indicators and the recommendation was if it 'froze', cover it up with a 'sticky patch' - I used to have one stuck on my bone-dome just in case. Otherwise the visual input from the topsy attitude could be overwhelming. I think if the 757 incident happened to me (and if I had time, space and brain capacity!) I'd be getting bits of paper torn up to cover the 'false' instruments - and asking for chewing gum from anyone on board to stick them on! They can produce very disorientating